Friday, January 14, 2011

What am I missing here?

It's 2:00 am. I'm awake for some absurd reason, and I look out of my window to see if it's still snowing. Barely. No one's around. But, I see something that's annoying. Every single shop across the street from my hotel has it's lights on bright.

I've seen this everywhere I have visited in the US. Shops/stores/offices that shut as early as 7 pm leave some or all of their lights on ALL NIGHT.

I don't get it. And I don't get why its not a big deal. I don't see even remotely, what purpose it serves, and I don't see why no one cares about it. Not only does it cost them money (which they should obviously care about) but is such a horrid misuse and waste of resources.

In India, we've recently seen a lot of awareness campaigns and initiatives to make people save every bit of electricity. Not in the room? Turn the lights off. Companies make an effort, and it's a great way of positive marketing if they demonstrate how green and conscious they are. At the Google office in Hyderabad, we had lights that came on when they sensed movement in the room, we were encouraged to use natural lights, turn our monitors off, and every other conceivable way of saving energy.

And while many things in the US are environmentally conscious and responsible, many things aren't.

I know ranting about it on my blog isn't going to make a difference, but for one, am wondering if I'm really missing something here and am completely off base, and there's a logical reason for this? For two, am going to have to looking into this, and see what I can do to start trying to change this.

More later. If you have any light to shed, please leave a note!

No comments: