Wait what. A week already?
Today I got a haircut. I had refrained from getting one of those in the US because a) I am broke and b) haircuts are cheaper in India. My haircut was still expensive - Rs 1200. I think that's expensive but by the way things have been, throwing Rs 500 at every interaction with someone selling something seems normal. Anyway, I quite like the haircut. My hair had reached Hagrid-like proportions and is now better.
After my haircut I took the metro train (woo!) to Andheri Station and walked the long bridge over to the west side looking for D.G Ayurvedic, apparently a store full of Ayurvedic medicines. On the way I found that someone had figured what Facebook smells like which was cool.
I found this famed D.G store and was excited, it looked big. Alas, I was pretty disappointed, it really was full of superficial natural cosmetics and other naturalish-herbal things tagged as ayurveda. Thanks but no thanks. I asked for some Ayurvedic meds and they directed me to another store. The arya-vidya kottakal store, which was far more impressive and sold the authentic kerala formulations. I took a photo and bought some grithams (medicated ghee).
I went back home and hung out with my cousin and her husband who were in Bombay from Chicago dealing with visa stuff. We bought some beer to celebrate successful biometrics at the Embassy (who needs any real reason to drink beer in hot ol' Mumbai?) And I was happy to remember that the beer I had been thinking of but couldn't remember was Kighfisher Draught. It tastes like mostly water but I enjoyed it.
Today I got a haircut. I had refrained from getting one of those in the US because a) I am broke and b) haircuts are cheaper in India. My haircut was still expensive - Rs 1200. I think that's expensive but by the way things have been, throwing Rs 500 at every interaction with someone selling something seems normal. Anyway, I quite like the haircut. My hair had reached Hagrid-like proportions and is now better.
After my haircut I took the metro train (woo!) to Andheri Station and walked the long bridge over to the west side looking for D.G Ayurvedic, apparently a store full of Ayurvedic medicines. On the way I found that someone had figured what Facebook smells like which was cool.
I found this famed D.G store and was excited, it looked big. Alas, I was pretty disappointed, it really was full of superficial natural cosmetics and other naturalish-herbal things tagged as ayurveda. Thanks but no thanks. I asked for some Ayurvedic meds and they directed me to another store. The arya-vidya kottakal store, which was far more impressive and sold the authentic kerala formulations. I took a photo and bought some grithams (medicated ghee).
I went back home and hung out with my cousin and her husband who were in Bombay from Chicago dealing with visa stuff. We bought some beer to celebrate successful biometrics at the Embassy (who needs any real reason to drink beer in hot ol' Mumbai?) And I was happy to remember that the beer I had been thinking of but couldn't remember was Kighfisher Draught. It tastes like mostly water but I enjoyed it.
Later, I heard from NJ who invited me to go hang with her in Bandra. I declined at first because I've been in the 'spend time with family mode' but family said I should go. So I went. Her BF was there too, and it was nice to catch up with him after like 7 years or something. The only time I'd met him before was in Firangi Pani in Hyderabad, when the three of us had a fun, drunken night of dancing to 80s pop. YES. Good memory we agreed. We shared some beers and talked about writing books, and teaching yoga and enlightenment and living in Bombay. It was good to catch up. I eventually got back on a train and came home.


No comments:
Post a Comment