I'm proud of being a Parsi. I'm part of a tribe. We're so few now, that we're officially a tribe. The days of the old glory have gone. Parsis, for a long time, but time long gone, were the most prosperous people in Bombay and many parts of India. Rich, wealthy, industrious and honest. Very successful, well read and cultured. Religious and of strong faith.
But, with time, things changed.
Parsis live to be of a very ripe old age. So, children often had grandparents and plenty of uncles, aunts and even great grandparents telling them what to do and what not. And they remained orthodox.
It's hard to point out reasons for why we are where we are today. Lots of things I guess. Parsis have, perhaps, for generations, married within the same family. In-breeding has caused many young people being born with ailments, deformities, handicap and weak constitutions. Recently, my sister lost a young Parsi friend due to a heart attack. How can a 20 year old just have a heart attack?
Another major reason is the strict marriage laws. A Parsi cannot marry a non-parsi. If he/she does, he/she is not considered a Parsi anymore. And, one can only become a Parsi by birth. It's a painful concept. And the reasons for it are stranger.
So far, I've believed them. But now, I feel silly when I explain. It's almost like a 'superiority theory'. It doesn't make sense to me any more.
Often people have told me that they're very curious to step into a Parsi fire temple. Because they aren't allowed. This always annoyed me. I always thought, if you can't go, you can't. Just leave it at that and respect it. I would still never encourage anyone to go into one. Simply because it is disrespectful to another's faith. But, I feel ashamed, about the injustice.
There are many nice things about being a Parsi. A lovely heritage to look back at, maybe. Not much to look forward to, though. When I visit a friend in a Parsi colony in Andheri, am saddened by what I see. Young people wasted. Leading mundane lives, almost as if helplessly surrendered to being 'as things are'. No more ambition, no drive to change. No rebellion. Of course, I'm as much to blame as anyone , in that case. There are a quite a few organizations for the youth, where they try to bring about changes in the directions to where Parsis are heading. And other fighting against the strict religious demands, especially for marriage, adoption. But its a difficult struggle.
I haven't been a good Parsi for ages. I haven't visited the temple, said my prayers. And other things I observe, just out of habit. I don't know if I believe anymore. Or if I ever did. It's hard coming to terms with it.
Sometimes I'm content with the ideas of Parsis dying out. Maybe its just time for us to fade away. I dunno what the future holds and I'm not quite sure what role am going to choose to play in it. But, whatever it is, it will be for the best.
Until then, I'm still happy to be a Parsi and eat Dhansak and meat, and hope that someday I'll marry a Parsi boy.
2 comments:
Though I am not, I wouldn't mind being a Parsi just so I get to eat more Dhansak.
A progressively weakened gene pool is a small price to pay. :)
Amen Saurabh! Amen Afrin! The right questions... Great post... No pic of Dhansak?? :(
Post a Comment