Today, a friend told me that while he enjoyed reading the first Harry Potter book , he wasn't keen to read the next because he'd already seen the movie. And that he knew exactly what would happen next.
And this just broke my heart, because it suddenly made me think of all the children who for the same reason may miss out on the joy of reading a book.
Just using Potter as an example, I've read the books a dozen times each, but I can still read them over and over again, not to find out what happens next, but to relish the style, and characters and the imagination that the books are so rich in.
Just like you'd watch your favourite movie again and again. To see what you missed out last time, and to hear what you didn't a time before.
Just like you listen to that one song, over and over again - until every note is memorized, but you still can't get enough.
And thinking from the perspective of a wishing-to-be filmmaker, I've often imagined making movies about my favourite books. Or even while reading a story, imagining how I'd make it into a movie.
But it is such a burden on the filmmaker. Any injustice to the book at all - and it's such a personal tragedy. I would hate myself if I ruined a book's power by making a terrible movie of it.
The second thought is that - movies based on books are tragic even if they are good movies - simply because they bias and duplicate and influence a reader who reads the book after seeing the movie. I read the Lord of the Rings after seeing the first movie. And obviously, when I read about Frodo, it was the actor I saw, and so on. Which was tragic... coz when I try really hard, the book would have had a different landscape in my head and different faces to the characters. (Lucky the movies were so excellent - imagine if we'd been stuck with a clumsy Legolas or a dull Gandalf to deal with in our heads the whole 1140 pages. Disaster.)
Anyway, the last point, in favour of the movies is that - yea, people who aren't likely to read a book ever, atleast get their dose of a great story. I'm sure lots of movies I've watched and enjoyed, and have been based on books, I wouldn't have ever really read.
So there, nice full circle to come back to. And to actually finish the circle -
THE HARRY POTTER MOVIES DON'T EVEN COME CLOSE TO THE BOOKS, DAMN IT.
2 comments:
Shucks! Now your friend will never know what HP is all about.
Harry Potter flicks can not even come 1% close to the amazing novels.
It is like comparing Longbottom's spells to Hermonie's :)
i was in hyderabad last week for a about a week, i came accross your blog while searching for a cinematheque in hyderabad, which i was glad to find out there was one, but the only screening when i was india was at a time when i was out of hyderabad. i ve read your post on the crowd coming to see the movies, i feel the same way about how few or not in existence the young crowd in the cinematheque here in my city. i used to think it s just me who is below 50 in this theatre.
i was going to avoid leaving any comments at ur blog not to interfere in your life (even it d have a very little impact) but couldnt hold back, espcially when i read your last few posts, about you wanting to become a filmmaker, also the one about the moments//smells/sounds that remind us of another past moment, reminded
of myself at 22 year of age which is now quiet far away .. about 5 years away. so wanted to recommned just one movie and a blog that s written by a true cinephile.
celinejulie.blogpsot.com
celinejulie.wordpress.com
i have been reading this blog since the days it was only in one language (thai - which i dont understand) :)
and the movie is , raindogs (ho yuhang). there used to be a pretty trailer on focusfilms site but no more available, the one youtube is very low quality.
take care
z
Post a Comment