Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My local adventure

I was muttering about how I get home late everyday thanks to the terrific traffic from office to home and then Mr. Shuunya suggested that I take the train from the station close to office upto Begumpet, which is a stone's throw from my home.

Following the idea, this evening, jumped into a cab and got dropped off at Hi Tech City Railway station. Never been there before, there were barely any lights, and I got a whiff of typical railway station food smells - a vada pav and bhajjia stall. I inhaled a deep breath of the yummy smell, and followed the steady trail of people climbing over a slopy incline, then over the tracks and to the platform. 

I needed to buy a ticket. The train arrived. I paused. Thought of my options and the possible consequences of traveling ticketless. Seemed ok. Jumped into the ladies compartment. The next half hour was delightful.

My life recently has been limited to Office - Home - Yoga. It was awesome to be in the midst of a crowd of so many people and listen to the chatter, and admire how beautiful Indian women are, and imagine their lives. I thought of it as a taste of what life would be (and will be soon) when I'm not on the lap of Google provided luxuries.

Then came along a lady selling vegetables, I was thrilled to see these oh-so-familiar sights from my many years commuting in the Bombay locals. Her selling call was quite simple and efficient - not like the annoying bleating of the Bombay hawkers. Can never figure what they say. 

I found myself wishing I knew Telugu. Again.

I then stood at the door... enjoying the cool breeze and looking at the places we were passing - couldn't recognize anything... and all of a sudden there was a loud clank! and a fist-sized stone came hurling and missed me by about a foot and hit the train's body. Was a bit of a shock for a moment, and scary. Then imagined what a miserable nook someone had to be in to get pleasure out of throwing stones at passengers in passing trains. It was a weird thought.

I leaned out a bit and let the wind rush through my hair.

Got off at the busy Begumpet station. Wondered if I would be asked for a ticket by a prowling chap.

Stopped by a book stall. Realized I hadn't bought much for myself (except for plenty of bananas) for ages. And I got me a little book that made me smile when I caught a glimpse.

'Learn Telugu in 30 days' it says bravely. And the mission statement of the Publishing company - "By languages we are many, but as a nation, we are one." Rs 25. How could I resist? 

My word for the day is kukka.

5 comments:

Pratik Stephen said...

You lil law breaker you!
: P
Telugu radhu!
:)

my story said...

very nice...your blog sounds afrinny again :D

Afrin Sopariwala said...

@ Jax - kukka means... dog. :)

@ PS - Law breaker willing to pay the fine! Have fun in Goa, you.

@ my story - Afrinny is a nice adjective! But definitely one that keeps changing its meaning..

Anonymous said...

Ha, good ol MMTS. I used it for about a good two months before laziness took over. Had a bunch of arguments with transport about having a shuttle to the station blah blah.. I stopped using it mostly because the trains wouldn't come on time which kinda defeated the whole purpose..

workhard said...

Interesting adventure, although i ve travelled throught the mmts a couple of times, never had anyone hurl a stone at me, good luck with telugu.

BPO work from home