I was in the Dhayanalinga temple at the Isha Ashram, and I was awed by the stunningly beautiful arrangements of flowers and diyas in front of the linga. It wasn't just flowers scattered. It wasnt just diyas placed haphazardly.
Every flower had been placed perfectly in a design. Every diya in perfect order. A new arrangement everyday. Art.
And the devotee who I saw day after day in the temple, she would lovingly come over again and again to check if the diyas were burning, and would gently spray water on the fragrant flowers.
I was awed. I have never seen such care to details.
And for a moment I wondered if ... it made any sense... was there any point to being so detailed?
But I realized paying attention to details doesn't take that much more time. And it leaves you will a great sense of pleasure for a job well done. Anything hasty or haphazard is just a waste of the entire effort.
And I took this lesson out of the temple with me - when I was walking... I saw the care to details that creation has - the shape of every flower petal, the uniqueness of every sunset, the immense detail of everything living - animals, plants, mountains, rivers, humans! They're only as beautiful as they are because of the delicate small details, isn't it? Imagine if we had been a result of haphazardness or a hasty job. We would have been... ugly.
Result - I clear my room every morning, put things back into their place after using them, and don't do half-jobs anymore. It doesn't seem like a chore anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment