Twin-sister and me went to ze movies a couple of weeks ago - slightly sleepy and determined to see any movie. Popped in for a movie with mixed reviews - Rock On!! A few friends had loved the movie, while others had called it bland and disappointing.
Anyway, I was glad to be back in the velvety comforts of a cinema hall and we saw trailers to a couple of really horrifying hindi movies. Drona being one, and Karz being another. Both caused me a lot of heartburn. Drona! So much money obviously spent on the special effects and yet it was so ugly visually.
Quite a relief when Rock On!! started with a nicely filmed song, shot right in the middle of Fountain, Bombay - so the nostalgia of home and nice visuals immediately made me happy. I was intrigued with the nice job of filming the live song - so much more realistic than how we usually see our actors fake playing a guitar.
I think about 10 minutes into the movie I finally realized that the vaguely familiar face I was looking at on screen was Farhan Akhtar. I was very, very surprised when I saw him actually singing the songs!
He won full marks from me for his performance, and although the film wasn't shot by him, it has a feel of his style, and just the fact that he sang the songs really impressed us and we were giggling like giggly girls. I can't pin it down to something, but there's something magnetically attractive about him.
The other actors were good too -mostly. I don't feel critical about the loose ends in the movie - because I enjoyed the whole two hours something. Anyway, for a hindi movie, dramatic flavours to the story (in good taste and measure) always enhance the film, I think.
And the story also appealed to me because it reminded me a lot of what was happening in my life.
Overall, very nice. I bought my first ever Hindi Movie Music CD that evening, and really love the mellow songs on the CD. (Honestly, the songs are very comparable to what Indian Rock bands are actually composing anyway.) And the slower songs are delicious. Go see the movie, if you hasn't.
No comments:
Post a Comment