Monday, June 18, 2007

Privacy Concerns

Oh, btw, am writing this post immediately after finishing the previous one. The previous one ended with me claimed to go off to see a film. Unfortunately, that did not happen, coz I’m still a bit hung–over and decided to lie in a bit. And while I was lying in, I thought of something else I simply have to write about. And what better time than now.

(It is important to know this important lesson that I have learnt and that I’m sure everyone knows.) When you think of something you have to do, there is no better time to do it, than the time you thought of it. Especially when it comes to something that can be so fleeting and subject to situation and position as writing or creating some art.

Anyway, that’s the important lesson, but is not what I wanted to write about. And if I don’t write what I wanted to write about, I will defeat the lesson myself.

Privacy concerns. Very buzzy topic these days. Everyone is concerned about their privacy, and also the privacy of their neighbor. Which possibly defeats the idea, but nevertheless. I mean, the idea of privacy is that your neighbor also has his privacy, from YOU.

I thought of this with reference to my previous post. I was wondering if it is ok to put the names of my friends in my post, in my blog. I know of people who would post about their friends, but never mention their names. Am not sure why it’s a bad thing. And anyway, I like to be honest, blunt, and not be too worried about what society pronounces as norms. And if Varun or Priya have a problem, they will tell me, and I will fuzz out their names from the blog.

A week back, when I was in Bombay, meeting with Audrey, and I told her about Google’s brilliant new Street View, where there is real life imagery and almost video of people, homes and cars, streets. Audi said, without even admiring the brilliance of the idea, was “wont this bring up lots of Privacy Issues? And right now, in the US, privacy is the biggest issue.” After terrorism and their messed up President, I assume, anyway I don’t want to get politic here. So, I was a bit surprised that Audi brought this up so quick, but I told her that this was generally Google’s style, and also that if anyone appearing on Street View has a problem, Google would blur or fuzz out their image. Seems like a reasonable solution to me, and I would be happy to blur out the names of anyone who is mentioned on my blog, and wants instead, to be a blur.

Oh, btw, Microsoft Word did not recognize the word blog, and had underlined it with the wiggly red, and suggested I replace it with blob. What a shame.

Last note, while we’re still on the issue and possibly politic topic, last night, before we went to the party, we decided to drop in to the local (and only bearable) pub/club here in Hyderabad, Firangi Pani. It was only 10:30, and they let us 5 get in for free, without paying the usual Rs 800 per couple cover charge. So, we were happy to go in, we were dressed up, (except Varun, who was sulking coz he hadn’t shaved, but he was looking cute anyway) and I was just about to order my drink when around, get this right, TWELVE policemen walked in, all armed with radios and what-nots. I thought maybe they’re looking for some run-away fugitive, or checking to see if there are any drugs happening. But that wasn’t the case.

In the next three seconds, there was a policeman at my elbow, directing me to the door and asking us to leave. He said, time to close, very late. I was annoyed and looked at my watch which said 10:32.

“Late? Its only 10:30!” I complained loudly. Of course, no one heard me, because by then the other 11 policemen were blowing their whistles, and leading people out. It was outrageous, a Saturday evening, and the place was filled to brimming.

I’ve seen cops come in to lots of places loads of time, but never this early, never in such a number, and never actually not leaving and letting the party continue a bit at least.

I think the Firangi Pani management must have refused to bribe these guys and pay them their usual ‘hafta’ and the cops don’t appreciate rebellion to their dirty tricks.

But yea, thinking about it is making me angry again. As if cops don’t have enough to do anyway! Stop crime, stop the problems on the streets before you come barging in to a perfectly respectable pub and disrupting normal, happy civilian life.

Really ridiculous. People were actually pushed out even if they hadn’t finished their food or drinks. I hope the FP management does something serious in protest and I will be happy to support them.

Say something, and leave a comment if you feel seriously about how annoying cops are, disrupting a nice Saturday evening for absolutely nothing.

2 comments:

Vivek Padmanabhan said...

Yea it is bothering... But i guess what we have here is the price of convenience in India... While u are subjected to being literally kicked out of a pub at an early hour due to their petty issues with the management... The same cops will turn a blind eye to any offenses or 'Rave parties' if you accept their terms... It just depends on how u look at it... The way i see it you never paid cover charge... ;)

Afrin Sopariwala said...

Hehe, yea, if i'd paid the cover charge, I would have said a thing or two more, to the cops, and more loudly.
What you say is true, it is annoying that we have to pay cops to run a decent business, and worse still that anyone who protests this injustice is punished.