Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Swimming in my senses

I’ve very sensitive senses. Smell, taste, hearing, vision, feel... all of these affect me very strongly, especially when I'm romanced by something.

Right now, I’m thinking of Bombay. I just heard its raining very heavily back home.

I can smell it so easily. I know exactly what it sounds like. I can see the dullness of the rain, and clouds. I can feel the cold air, and the warmth of snuggling into home after getting drenched.

Isn’t it amazing how our senses combine with our memories, to reproduce something so close to the real thing that it can move you to tears? Of course, sometimes memories are a poor substitute, but a superb make-do-with.

Think of how easy it is to melt and dissolve into your senses, and be transported to anywhere. Think of a song that brings back a strong memory. The most recent one for me is the song I heard over and over again, the day after I lost my camera. It made me weep then, and each time I hear the song, I know the emotion associated with. It's not tragic anymore, but it never fails to evoke the memory.

The same goes for taste. I can taste the sev puri at my favourite local chaat stall. And the buttery bread with the gorgeous pav bhaji I used to gorge on. I can taste it.

Think of the feel of a cold, stormy breeze. It is so powerful, so electric. Your senses tingle with the anticipation of the storm.

Think of the sight that takes your breath away, or leaves you with sudden, perfect peace.

I used to spend hours at Marine Drive. Staring at the sea and feeling small, invisible and at peace. I can see it. The colours, the overwhelming beauty.

The last one ... Smell. Is difficult. There are so many smells that bring memories, and most, from Bombay, aren’t very pleasant. Hah, the smelly Bandra creek that the train passes over. The smell of the traffic that gets into your hair and clothes. But, I think, I also know the smell of some people. Atleast people I’ve been close and intimate with. Maybe I can’t remember it perfectly now, but I think I know it.

Its amazing, how our senses and imagination can create such a strong sensation… Strong enough to take your breath away, move you to tears, or hit you in the stomach. I am lucky… I’m swimming in my senses. And can do it again, and again, and again.

2 comments:

Vivek Padmanabhan said...

Amen!! I'm guessing u were still drunk when u were writing this... Cheers!! Good one.

Afrin Sopariwala said...

Hehe, nope I wasn't hungover when I wrote this. This was the next day. I just missed Bombay, and then was fascinated by my very distinct memory/imagination of what it is like when it rains there.