Friday, July 20, 2007

Quote for the day

Never try to teach a pig to sing, it only wastes your time and annoys the pig.

- Unknown helicopter repairman in Germany.

If I told you that it was the combined effect of the 3 strong painkillers and listening to Personal Jesus (all three versions) loudly, that caused me to find this Quote for the day amusing enough to post on my blog, will you forgive me? (More than the quote I found the credit to it amusing.) Also, I'm reminded, by the previous sentence, of being told in my creative writing class that the construction of my sentences is very complex, which, more often that not, results in very long sentences. But, on contemplation, I have found that that is not true, and even if my sentences are long, they are not difficult to understand, which therefore makes them not complex. And I hope by now you realize that I am deliberately composing rather long sentences, and attempting to not make them complex, but, as they actually are nothing more that on-the-flow words straight out of my thoughts, they really can't be too complex. Nevermind.

I also like short sentences. Like this one. And this. And also, I like breaking rules of grammar. When it serves a purpose. Of course. Only if. Come to think of it, short sentences make comprehension more difficult. I prefer long ones. Medium sized ones are boring. They really have no point.

Happy weekend. But am still not going, will just think of something else to post. A photo maybe.

1 comment:

Ankur Arora said...

:)
datz all i did after reading this post...crisp, short sentences are more "on the face", telling sm stuff which has become more of a fact than anything else, which one doesn't feel to explain by elongating. i love writing long ones myself, itz easy to explain multiple feelings/events happening at the same time, as felt by the author. hope you had a great weekend!