Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Touch Wood

I haven't attended too many weddings where the groom / bride have been really close friends. I think I can only count 3 weddings. And the one that affected me the most was Mel's.

I was looking at photographs right now, and I remembered. It's been more than a year. A year since the eventful incidents that led up to the wedding, and after. I shopped like mad for my dresses. By far the most expensive outfits I've ever bought. I took a week off to be in Bombay a few days before the wedding. For all the excitement and furor. Reveled in the pampering that spilled over from the ample aunts and uncles crowding Mel's house. And the teeth machine, as we called Mel's dog in those days, Brownie, got crazier as the excitement grew. I became his 'teething / nibbling toy' without volunteering to have my arms ripped off by his nibbling.

Anyway, the whole point of this downthememorylane post is to remember (and document*) what the priest said at the Church wedding. He said that this wedding was not only between Mel and Sim, but everyone present in the church, and that we were all part of the marriage between them. And that we were responsible for the marriage as much as them. Our love and blessings and good wishes would be what bound them together. And that, to me, was priceless.

It's special and precious to share that - with such beloved friends.

Ah, I'm only homesick. Excuse the sentimentality.

PS: I think my blog, more than really reflecting my life, is more of a space where I document and record random thoughts that flit by, and those thoughts if I don't put them down immediately, vanish into thin smoke.

Just like this morning when I woke up, I knew that a super-realistic dream had been interrupted by my alarm. A really good dream, I just knew it. But as I thought that thought, the dream and any vague thread of it slipped away, like disappearing smoke, and was gone. I couldn't even slightly remember what it was about or anything. So sad. So unfair. So annoying. Why can't my dreams belong to me?

PPS: I'm superstitious.

No comments: