Monday - I saw 300 again. Glad I did. Enjoyed it.
Tuesday - Pursuit of Happyness. Very nice, I thought. Will Smith and son, brilliant acting.
Wednesday - The Holiday. I was wary that it would be a chick flick. Maybe it is, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially Kate Winslet, she was awesome. Jack Black sucked big time.
Thursday - Water. Very disappointed. Liza Ray and John Abraham made a mockery of the whole thing. Bad dialogue, worse delivery, and not sensitively made. The little girl and the older widow were good, the only saving grace.
Friday - The Marine.
Yes, Friday's movie deserves a special note. Note that from Monday through Thursday, we got great seats in the cinema. Second row from the back. And the cinema would be mostly empty. The Marine was packed. We sat second row from the front. The entire cinema was full. With mostly men. I mostly like action-thrillers. The Marine, however, was not a thriller. It was just noise and explosions. And its climax was twice as long and three times more pathetic than the average Hindi film climax. Very sad.
Ok. Saturday and Sunday we saw movies at home. Mostly because there were no other films I wanted to see in the cinemas. Except Namesake, but that one was all sold out.
So, Saturday, we went for a nice long walk in the K.B.R National Park and then for a beer. And a typical Andra dinner. Varun ate quail. When we got home, I pulled out a stack of new virgin DVDs and picked Godard. Une Femme Est Une Femme. A Woman Is A Woman. Great fun, and very nice.
Sunday, I woke up early and wanted to get through as many of the DVDs as I could. We first saw Godard's Le Weekend. Hmm, this one's a toughie. I liked it, it wasn't too easy. My friends couldn't really take it. I saw it again, at once, with commentary on. Am glad for these features that DVDs have, it certainly helped with that film!
Next we saw Ron Frike's Baraka. A visual documentary, with no narrative or dialogue. Very visual. Shot in 24 countries, it's a view of global rituals, urban and rural analogies, and a visual treat. Very nice. And I found a random parallel between Godard's Weekend and Baraka. It's difficult to explain, but I'll try. In another post.
After Baraka, we saw Truffaut's The Soft Skin. Basically, the story of a famous novelist and his affair with an air stewardess. Nice film, but not spectacular. But I do like Truffaut.
The week was great fun and there are always more films to see! Wohoooooo.

PS: I must mention, I love being in a cinema. And turning around to see the glorious beam of light as the film is projected. It's the prettiest thing in the world... one of.
No comments:
Post a Comment