Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Monsoon Madness

The title means much. First of all, it was the name of a party I remember organizing some 10 years ago, maybe. Where we got everyone to come up to the building terrace, and dance in the rain. I think it didn't rain that evening though. We had to use hose pipes.

Anyhow, moving along, it rained last evening. Yes, in April. After the scorching, unbearable heat, it was a fantastic relief. I didn't see it rain though. I was sitting on my ass in front of my computer, working. When I left office later, the smell of rain hit me so hard and the sweet texture of the air surprised me. I knew at once, even though it was dry by then. That it had rained.

So, I'm just writing this to express the sweet feeling I felt then. I've never thought about this before, but I love the rains very much. My birthday is during the monsoon. At least the Bombay monsoon. I particularly remember a Birthday when I came back from school early and danced, in our balcony while it poured outside. I almost remember what I was wearing too. Almost, alas.

Well, yesterday, it smelled so nice. I felt a crazy fever, or maybe madness, rising in my head. I needed to walk in the rain and smell the earth and the green. I needed to go away to a green hilltop and feel the rain. There would be a gentle river nearby and I would slip into it. I felt very restless.

But then, its not yet the monsoon.. Only a summer shower. I will go away somewhere when the monsoon comes. Until then, I'll be content to smile conspiringly to the smart cuckoo that hails the rains.

PS: Unfortunately, there are many times when I hate the rains. Especially in Bombay. But, then again, the rains will come and the rains will go.

No comments: