Thursday, April 12, 2007

Namesake

Saw the movie finally last night. Decent stuff. I'd read the book ages ago, as soon as it had come out and I thought the book was ok too. Though, I'd forgotten the story, and it slowly dawned on me as the movie progressed.

Nice, delicately made film. Mostly good acting and fair justice to the book and the story. The narrative was smooth, easily flowing, and there were parts that were quite affecting and touching.

Of course, Mira Nair has still made a very conventionally styled film with Namesake. Doesn't seem like budget was a problem, but she's stuck to conventional cinema techniques. Which, I think, worked for the film. But well, nothing extraordinary.

PSt: That reminds me, there's a story behind how I got my name too. Well, I'm not sure I quite believe it, but Mom was pregnant, and she was in the fire temple praying, when she heard or imagined maybe, a voice tell her that, 'You will have a daughter, and she is Afrin.' Of course, there was no one around when she opened her eyes. (Mom's heard these voices again too, and one time right before I got admission into college and was really wondering which college I would end up at... and again at the fire temple, Mom saw a distinct vision of the holy cross, and she knew at once that I'd be going to St. Xavier's.) And so, I'm Afrin. Hello.

1 comment:

Vivek Padmanabhan said...

NO!! u lie!! It says this post is by Varda!! Afrin doesn't exist!!:)