Monday, March 10, 2008

Bohemian Karma

I just spoke to my baby sister. And oh boy, how the tables have turned. There was a time when I was doing the things - things that would make her eyes grow wide with disbelief and admiration when I said do you know what I did today.

But yes, the tables turn, and the tides turn, and the ugly ducklings all turn into swan and fly away, and all that. My phone call to baby sister was answered with an excited - "You've called at the perfect moment!" and after a few commands I hear -- a chorus of voices, a piano and a guitar, singing, playing in the most gorgeous harmony, Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.

I'm enchanted. And furiously wishing I was there in that little room, watching my sister play the piano and giggle with a group of 19-year olds at midnight, on a lovely campus of a design school. Then baby sister comes back to the phone and is eagerly waiting for my verdict. I have to put up my act of constructive critic, and I tell her everything that is fabulous, but the one phrase where the solo vocalist is going faster than the rest of the singers.

She's happy to have the feedback and will set it right. And then she thanks me for giving her the piano notations in the first place. And thanks me for forcing the song down her throat three years ago when I'd play it every single day until the day she loved it and sang it with me. And she tells me that I'm a superhero to her classmates and they all think I'm absolutely spiffing cool.

If only she knew.

If only only she knew how the tables have turned.

PS: Definitely have to do something about described fatal table-turned situation. Have to live up to spiffing reputation.

PPS: Freddy Mercury has the most incredible voice ever.

PPPS: My maternal uncle looks very much like Freddy Mercury. Except for the buck teeth.

PPPPS: I very nearly have buck teeth. But just about don't. Much thanks, oh genes.

P5S: My sister was born with two teeth. Who would think I love her so much?

No comments: