Monday, March 19, 2007

300

Yes, everyone's talking about it. I must admit, my first verdict after I saw the film was negative.
The story - we've heard 6000 times before; the characters, I didn't fall in love with any; I didn't think there were any 'moments'; the narrative, I found choppy and too quick. I compared the film to Gladiator and the Lord of the Rings. But then, I was accused, by three different people, that I was being overtly too critical. Which is true. It's just a film after all.

So, I've decided to re-think.

Hmm, I liked it. I did enjoy the film. I wasn't spellbound, completely, but yea, partly. The super-effects are brilliant. Now that I think about it, quite a few shots and scene playback perfectly in my head.

I loved the slow motion shots of King Leonidas going slash-slash-slash.
I liked the opening sequence of the young King being trained.
The Persian king was hilarious.
I thought the scene of the Oracle was very sexy.
I liked the scene where the Queen kills the traitor.
I loved the deep, dark, endless well and the messenger being kicked into it.
I like King Leonidas' beard. Very sexy.
I like the power, glory of Sparta.

Finally, I must say that the film print at the cinema was very dark. Too dark. I'm finicky about colours and light when I watch a film. Maybe that's why I got pissed off.

I think I'll see it again.

No comments: