Monday, March 31, 2008

Mind games

Dreams. How often have you woken up, nightmared, (thrilled maybe?) by the graphic nature of your dream?

You go back to sleep. The next morning, you remember you had a nightmare. You tell someone. Your memories are vague and blurry.

But you're telling a story. So you add a touch here and there, a twist and some logic maybe and something surreal, and fabricate your mind's fabrication...

I just read a post about a very vivid and detailed description of a nightmare. And I wondered if she got so caught up in the narration of her dream and made a movie of it.

But reality or dreams, our mind and eyes, and senses play so many tricks on our conscious - so often - enough to leave us helpless puppets danging off the chains of uncertainty - or the deep, unknown recesses of our minds.

Images. Sounds. Light. Think of what ideas they've triggered off in you when you're alone in a room. Or in an unfamiliar place. Ever felt uncomfortable or eerie around a place? Or woken up and been petrified by a shape against the wall, which turns out to just be a pair of jeans hanging on your door?

Its 2:oo am. The wind is howling. There's oblique amber light streaking into my room, from the street. I'm listening to some trippy music and have been trying to string out some intense ideas out of my mind. My door is suddenly creaking unusually, half closed. All this, while I blog about feeling eerie. I want to keep my eyes on my computer. But every few seconds I imagine I see something at the door, and I look to check if there's someone in white standing there.

All I have to say to myself firmly is - yea, its just your mind playing tricks again.

1 comment:

Tharini Venugopalan said...

Oh I feel like that all through the night :-( And I cannot sleep alone at night. And even if I have to, then I switch on the lights of all of my room. I always feel that someone's around, constantly looking at you. Haunting, eh?! I strongly believe in para psy...it can't be fake.