A month since my world came apart. And I have an update. Recently, I visited the Isha Yoga Centre, at the Velliangiri mountain foothills. And honestly speaking, I was going for 2 reasons - Sailusha was recommending it highly, and well, from having seen dad do Yoga for many years, I knew it would help me both physically and mentally. And so I went.
I was already feeling stronger thanks to having read 'Autobiography of a Yogi', and all the other changes I was bringing to my life. But, what happened there at the Isha Ashram was unexpected. I expected to learn a few yoga practises, and just have a nice getaway. I wasn't expecting anything close to what I experienced there. Before going I thought I'd already changed a lot - but those changes were miniscule compared to what happened at Isha. I guess the impact was so strong because of the timing - it got me at a time when I needed it the most, and I was most receptive.
I doubt I can describe what I learned and what happened. The program I attended, is the very first of a series of programs designed beautifully by Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev. A residential program, 4 days in the ashram. The location itself is a reason to go see this place. In a valley, at the end of the road (the road really ends at the village leading to the ashram, and all beyond is only topped always with clouds that look heavenly. There's something in the air there that I can't put a word to.
The ashram is abloom with love and joy. Young people, with glowing faces, engaged in their assigned work (teaching rural kids, handicrafts, making music) all alive to the fullest. Not a single gloomy, tired, impatience, angry face. It was wonderful.
The ashram itself is big, large, and houses a yogic temple - the only one of its kind in the world. I had no idea. But the dhyanalinga temple is unique. There is also a pool of water which contains an energizing power - a linga of solidified mercury immersed in the water. Balances your inner energies, and has healing powers.
My class had about 30 people - a varied bunch, who were there for varied reasons. Some out of curiosity. Some for a holiday. Some looking for a solution to get rid of their lives of stress. There was a woman from Portugal travelling across South India. A 50 year old film-maker, who said he'd accomplished every ambition, had a well settled family - but was still not sure why he was unhappy. A quiet senior couple - who looked orthodox and simple - and by end of class the wife turned into a lively woman who stayed unbeaten the longest in dodge-ball.
For 3 days, we committed to giving our 100% to class, and by the end of it, I saw a change in everyone. Everyone was moved in their own way - everyone humbled, everyone sincerely re-engineered. An internal bath - our guru called it.
A very small glimpse here.
And photos of the Ashram here.
2 comments:
Hi,
Nice sharing. I have linked to your post: ishas.blogspot.com
Thanks!
Anto
Hi,
Got to your blog from Ishas. I just completed Inner Engineering in Jaipur and I'm reeling from the experience; going to the ashram for BSP on 2 October and staying for 3 weeks to soak in every last drop :)
Post a Comment