Wednesday, February 27, 2008

And the Oscar goes to... Hollywood!

I was watching the Oscars a couple of days back, and I saw loads of people get emotional, and everyone's speech had things like, "Movies educate us, transport us, inspire us, make us dream. What would our lives be without movies? etc. etc." I saw some winners come on stage and cry and be genuinely emotional, and I saw others come on stage and put up a show.

And I thought to myself, this is the greatest orchestrated drama ever. The absolute stiff upper lip Americanized.

Cinema, to me, is freedom and expression. But what Hollywood is today, is just the opposite. It's a big huge enormous sham. I don't care if its a money making racket... I fully endorse money making, and I hope to make money someday off films. What's killing me is the pretense and superficial artificiality of it all.

The whole orchestration of it. The dresses. The smiles. The clapping, and laughing at ridiculous jokes. The acting. Oh God, I cant bear to write about it. Where are the punks and the junkies? Someone needs to go to the Oscars stoned.

2 comments:

Vivek Padmanabhan said...

I know of someone who did go as himself to the oscars... No prizes for guessing he was rejected and his oscar given to someone else... That's why i like Eminem, even though i don't like his music/stuff... :)

Afrin Sopariwala said...

I like Eminem... even his early music was intense. Haven't heard any of him recently.