Sunday, February 03, 2008

Kala Ghoda Festival, 2008

One last thing I have to mention. My wanderings towards the end of my day today got me towards Kala Ghoda and I was thrilled to see that the Kala Ghoda Art Festival was on! This would be the third consequent year I managed to attend it. (The first, two years ago, is where I bought my beloved Bow And Arrow, whose experimental existence is described here.)

Secretly, I've been looking for the Bow And Arrow seller again. Simply because my Arrow broke. No sight of the chap this year either. There was a lady selling little windmill-flags and little gaudy bows and arrows. I sniffed and walked on.

But wow, what a sight. Kala Ghoda gets grander and more awesome each year. The theme this year mainly seenmed Eco Awareness. I really really missed my camera today, and had to make a pitiful do with my phone camera.

The main courtyard had around 10 really impressive urban art installations. One was a giant wheel made of cycles. Amazing! There was a giant shoe made of little shoes. A huge metal man-mosquito. And a superfunky structure made out of an old computer, cds, wires, and circuits. It was shaped to be a horse.

They are also selling cars - The eco-friendly Reva (electric car) with fabulous art work done by famous Mumbai artists.

The exhibition area was great too... stalls and stalls by artists and organizations, and the place was filled with tourists, and young artists, and a very interested audience. The festival also has a music festival, and I was thrilled to find Garreth's name on the list of performers. Garreth, with his solo act - Dischordian - is performing next Sunday.

All in all, a very impressive space. Fabulously put together, I was impressed by the care and detail of everything - lots of toil and love had gone into making this large space so good looking. Am hoping to head off there again tomorrow to get a better look.

No comments: