I've been a member of the Hyderabad Film Club for the past one year. I'd say I've easily missed around 60% of the screenings. Shame. The film club runs out of an old, old film studio, Sarathi Studios, which also claims to have the oldest film projector still functioning in India. (I've seen the projector, and let me tell you, it was a privilege.)
(Fyi, very few film clubs these days actually even have a 35mm film projector at their disposal - it really is a big deal.)
The film club, unfortunately, has a very small membership. Each time I go for a movie, I'm almost always the only young person there. Everyone else who comes is atleast 60, and can just about wobble their way in and get a seat. I wonder if they can even keep pace with the movies. And sometimes, I wonder if they only come for the adult sex scenes that are very frequent in these international films. Anyway, my point is, there are no young people. And I don't understand why.
Last week, I went over for a movie after a really long time. The old man who manages the film club, (quite a character, always dressed completely in white, and with a long white flowing beard) shook my hand very gravely, and asked me when was I making a movie. He wanted to act.
The Film Club screens about 7 films a month. Of which, around 3 generally are French movies, presented by the Alliance Francais. Really interesting films made by young and not yet famous French film makers, that I would never even get a chance to see otherwise. The others are random other international films, or if they're doing a retrospective on a particular film maker, or a country, then those films. Austrian films, Czech films, Japanese, you name it.
Somehow, so far, I've liked the fact that no one I know goes to the film club - it's been my personal-get-away-from-the-regular-world space. But, I think the film club deserves better. A younger audience - definitely. And a word on my blog.
11 comments:
Enlighten me about the Hyderabad Film Club. I'm quite young(comparatively, among 60s) to visit. :)
Sure! Glad someone's interested. The HFC, as I said, runs out of Sarathi Studios, at Ameerpet. They dont have a website, but they email a monthly newsletter with the schedule of films for the month.
You can only see a movie if you are a member, and membership is annual. Rs 800 for the whole year. (Bring 2 photos if you're signing up.)
Next movie's on Tuesday, March 4th, 6:30 pm.
More questions?
you just nudged me to call 'em up. (though nobody picked up the phone) - 23730841 is the no. I got from google; is that a valid no.?
And is there anything on 2nd or 3rd March?
And if the phone no. doesn't work then how does one sign up for the newsletter and become a member? (or no other way than going to the place?)
Thanks! Don't have a lot of knowledge about films etc but been wanting to epxlore the off-beat for some time.
Um, I don't have the number, I remember seeing an ad in each issue of the Hyderabad magazine - channel 9.
Anyway, no other way to get subscribed other than becoming a member. And no other way of being a member without going there!
Next movie, March 4th. I'll try and get a mobile number and post it here when I do.
Thanks. March 4th is out of question but I'll try the membership route. A no. would be nice too. :)
Hey Afrin!!! I'm back after a huge gap. I think I've missed a lot.
I'm happy to read about your undying love for movies. Great going!!! I still have many posts to read.
"The old man who manages the film club, (quite a character, always dressed completely in white, and with a long white flowing beard) shook my hand very gravely, and asked me when was I making a movie. He wanted to act."
Undoubtedly The Film-maker's POV!! I actually visualized it!! Hehe!
Hi Tharini, have you started a blog yet? Glad to have you back.
Sounds great! Guess i'll be joining too :)
One of my friends has been to Sarathi Studios for membership in HFC, and they've asked for some kind of approval from Film Chamber, at Jubilee Hills... sounds pathetic. Is this true? Cam you elaborate more on the process!
Hey Afrin glad to see your spirits, i moved from Bangalore an years back and was eager to check out the club at Sarathi. (i was an active memeber of Suchitra film club, Bangalore) but yes, as you wondered... i did too on the kind of participation Hyderabad has. But would be glad to be regular if energitic ppl like you are going to be there. The discussions and participation would be a lot more constructive with younger talent showing up. Thanks.
That film club is scam people
that white person in white beard is junior artist doing nothing but giving complex to youngsters
the man who is secretary dupes people from money...he amassed money with film festivals and let me tell you this man is secretary of club since long time and no one takes his position
just watch film for fun of it...and yes old men come to remember sex sceneslol
Post a Comment