Friday, February 08, 2008

Fantastic fantasies and not

A free day is a lovely phenomenon. No one around. Unexpected glory. I have much to say. I've been talking to myself all day, simply because I was walking around alone, and couldn't blog then.

This post is for Terry Pratchett. Thank you Mel and Mishoo for passing the bug. I've enjoyed his language, and imagination a lot. But most of all, I enjoy his style of turning the simplest things upside down, and bringing out the humour in the most commonplace things. Darn, I can't do justice to him.

The book I've been reading this week - Lords and Ladies - starts off questioning starts. The start of the universe and life. When did it all start? He says:

"Much human ingenuity has gone into finding the ultimate Before.

The current state of knowledge can be summarized thus:

In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded."

I died laughing. He's brilliant. Read his discworld series - especially the stories with the Witches.

PS: Talking about books, today at Walden I saw a new Fantasy series. The Edge Trilogy or something. The back of the book was all praises, about how this book will be in print in the next millennium as well and how it is going to change the course of fiction. Blah blah. Everyone these days is writing fantasy - witches? Bring 'em on. Elves, goblins, and what nots. This book had an overdose too, and he also mentioned 'flesh eating trees.' Now that, I thought, is pushing it. Trying to be original is something, but flesh eating trees is not that. Maybe I'm over-reacting. Time will tell if my paths will wander into the Deep Forest with the flesh-eating trees. But I have a feeling...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha, you bought more books !

sailusha said...

I remember flesh-eating trees from sometime before. 'Life of Pi' I think? Extremely enjoyable book; I remember wanting to get lost at sea, on a lonely boat, all that.. until, ofcourse, the flesh-eating trees..
and then there was more flesh eating.. and not by the trees.ugh.