Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Reduced Shakespeare Company

Just got my Internet connection fixed at my new apartment. Feels good to be online 24 x 7. Of course, it's going to slow down my reading of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I'll deal with that later.

Yesterday, was talking to SA about Shakespeare and I remembered this book a friend had insisted I read... The Complete Works of William Shakespeare by the Reduced Shakespeare Company, also known as The Compleat Works of Wllm Shkspr (Abridged).

That was the funniest book I read in a long, long time. The Reduced Shakespeare Company, is a group of actors who've been performing abridged versions of Shakepeare's plays. Hamlet was reduced to a 25 minute play, and Romeo and Juliet, to 20 minutes.

Eventually, they wrote The Complete Works, which is still a tremendous hit. Imagine, a hour long play, 4 actors, who keep improvising (so each performance is different) that describes all the Shakespearean plays.

Of course, I've not seen the play - I've only read the book, but it was a treat. I also remember there being some incredibly funny footnotes on most of the pages, even the introduction, and prologues were ridiculous. I xeroxed a copy of the book, I think I should scan it and upload it. A must read for Shakespeare fans.

No comments: