Sunday, February 03, 2008

The God of small impulses

Today I lived on impulse. A whole day in Bombay, by myself, with a very vague agenda, and lots of time in between.

In Bombay it is so easy to do things impulsively. I can stop anywhere and there's street food handy. I ate a samosa on the railway station, on an impulse 2 minutes before my train arrived. I got off the train on an impulse and went and bought something I wont reveal I've bought as yet. Wow. Nice move. That tasty samosa was a good omen.

Nothing like a good day in a chilly wintery Mumbai doing nothing but whatever you want. I bought loads of things, wandered loads, and randomly ate things.

But my train journey gave me a nasty shock. Fast train, really pacing, and suddenly a loud crash and the train is shuddering and I can hear metal cracking... A whole packed compartment of women freaking out... I thought the train was derailing... or was it an explosion? And inside a packed train, you're terribly helpless.

Turned out that a bike got hit by the train. And two boys. Very horrifying. By the sound of it, the bike must have been smashed beyond repair. I don't want to think what happened to the boys. All the other women in the train were talking about it very casually, it's sad, but train accidents happen a lot. I remember reading somewhere that the train drivers actually suffer depression at times because of the number of people they 'go over' in the course of a career. It's unreal. To save the lives of the thousands of people on the train, sometimes you don't have a choice but to take a life. I wonder what makes these people cross the tracks so rashly?

Impulse?

No comments: