Since forever, I've loved making lists. Absolutely ridiculous-waste-of-time-habit. Although, now being occupied and employed, and enroute to saving the world, I've not had much time to make long, ridiculous lists. However, today, the genes-and-brain-wiring got the better of me, and I said, fornicate under the consent of the king everyone. I'm going to make a list - the kinds of which has never been seen before, except by the librarian of the Unseen Unversity.
The list I made today is called Books I've Read. It's the most self-satisfying thing to do. My history of list making goes back to school days, when I used to list out the 50 States of the USA and make lists of Danielle Steel novels I'd read. (I was devouring those soppy novels at the rate of one per day.) But today's list is special. It was like going back in time, as I tried my best to dive into the recesses of my memories and pull out titles of all the books I've read.
My first book ever was a book by Enid Blyton called Bed-Time Stories. Fairly tales which have gone a long way and has permanently imprinted on my mind the love for fairies, and magic, and romantic notions about all good things. But that was as a kid. Another more important memory is my 9th birthday gift from mommy, when she very earnestly took me aside and said that reading is one of the best habits anyone can have, and then she handed me the first book of Enid Blyton's fabulous series - The Famous Five.
Just thinking of those books and browsing lists of them took me back to the hours I've spent reading in my summer holidays, not eating till I finished my book. The Five Find-Outers! So absolutely hilarious! And Malory Towers... I swear, my kids (and all my friends' kids) will be gifted these books, and lectured about the good mental health effects of Enid Blyton.
I was lucky to read her at the right age and right time. I barely managed to enjoy Nancy Drew, or the Hardy Boys, but quickly moved on to the aforementioned soppy novels, and then literary classics.
Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, PG Wodehouse, Terry Pratchett (all fabulously British) are the regular favorites of book lovers, but in addition, I was lucky to be part of The British Council Library where I read lots of unusual and rare or unheard of books. Many of which were absolute gems.
Well, its a nice list. And now I have to get out of here.
4 comments:
wait, Enid Blyon is a woman? !
Blyton*
That sounded like I was slurrinnggg....
I always thought I got most of my ideas as a kid, about what's right or wrong, from EB's books. I was Bobby, Alicia, Fatty :D
I love the fact that she popularized rascality, devilry..
Controversial stuff. About how her writings didn't encourage kids to be "good", but rather.. well,kids :)
Looking that up, here's a post I found-
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/culturevulture/archives/2006/06/26/the_land_of_doa.html
Post a Comment