Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Bombay Diaries - Day 17

Today was a great day. Successful shoots, one that I was quite worried about.

We filmed, undercover, in a train. As easy as it may sound, its not easy to hide a camera, in a bag and place it in a train where people are always expecting a bomb in any bag unattended. You can hide the camera, but the lens is always pointing somewhere.

But, well, we succeeded. We were nervous the whole trip and had to plan it very carefully. I had a dozen stories ready on my lips if anyone pointed out the camera or made a noise.

The most interesting part was, that we were sure that at least 2 people looked directly into the lens, and of course, probably recognized it to be a camera. But didn't say a thing. I guess it's not easy for someone to make a noise and as Brad put it - break social conventions. Thank God.

We had a celebratory fancy dinner in a really nice restaurant in Bandra. Silly love songs, beer, a Goa type setting, and excellent food. Place called Out of the Blue.

We still had some late night filming to do. And this time, Brad let me shoot. Was an interesting experiment, though its not right for me to describe it online. We also got shooed at by a cinema guard who thought we were filming his cinema and I easily lied and told him that the camera was not even running. Its strange what being a film maker requires you to do, to get your content.

But I have to keep making up stories. Like, when asked why we were randomly filming a inconsequential little lane in the middle of the night, I had to say that Brad was teaching me to use the camera. They still didn't think we were perfectly sane, but didn't ask us any more questions.

Nice day. So far, my favourite rolls of film filmed.

No comments: