I don't know what to call today. A disaster day, it seemed to be, but looking back, it was not bad at all.
It all began with Brad's breakfast going terribly wrong, and we laughed and said... today is not your day! And those words came alive.
We got caught in a first class train compartment, with second class passes.
We generally never get into first class - I'm well aware of the lurking danger of a ticket checker. But today we had a lunch date, and we just had to get on this train... second class looked really uncomfortable, and frankly impossible, so we popped onto first class.
At the next station, Brad suggested we get off and get onto the second class. I, shook my head and indicated that it was ok to stay here. I honestly didn't fathom a TC getting on. I carefully looked at everyone boarding the train at Bandra. None looked like a TC. I was relived. The train jerked to start moving, and one person jumped on. He was wearing the black coat of a Ticket Collector. I couldn't believe it. He looked straight at me, saw my expression of complete horror, and his face lit up.
We were, for 5 whole minutes, the amusement and diffused center of attention in our compartment. We paid our fine. And completely agreed that it was bad luck day.
Lunch was good. We planned to see a movie after, and I felt quite sure that we wouldn't get tickets... but we did... and we saw Will Smith in I Am Legend.
Man, the film chilled me to death, and was quite horrific. And we left the cinema quite affected... And laughed at - well we got the tickets, but what a horrific movie to choose today!
Two hours later, however, we were recommending to friends to see the film.
The final blow of the day was when we went to the hotel Brad is to use when I leave Bombay, and wanted to check into today, for one night, and he couldn't. He was asked for his passport, and visa and the manager was horribly rude, so we canceled all bookings, which really was quite upsetting.
This post doesn't do a fair tribute to the great effectiveness and potency of these misfortunes. But we were honestly amazed by its persistence through the day. And although, of course, it really wasn't that bad, but it did affect our psychology all through.
The evening, however, ended well enough. We went to Bandra to participate in the Batti Bandh drive (where we're encouraged to put of all electricity in our homes from 7:30pm to 8:30pm) and where a few artists were performing - without any use of electricity of course.
Garreth did his first solo performance, and it was nice. Mel was there too, with Blue Frog artists - Sha'air and Funk.
After that, we went off to my favourite shady bar - Janta - and had a great alcoholic filled long evening. Mel and I managed to have a long discussing where he's asked me pressing questions about my future - some options he has, and what I want to do. It's difficult, but I have to answer him soon.
I guess I just need to calmly think it over, and make a choice. One way, or the other. Lucky I am, to have these choices.
1 comment:
Good luck for tomorrow Afrin!
All's well if it ends well :)
Post a Comment