Saturday. Day off.
Dear old Krishnaswamy was in town, and could manage to meet me for lunch. So, it was up to me to decide where we'd go.
I looked up Google Maps and picked out Tamba Handi (just because the name was interesting) and I thought I knew the way. One hour in traffic, and we were still in the rics. Brad and I, without breakfast, and Nangaswamy chattering on about philosophy and art.
I was losing hope, and feeling miserable about Google Maps letting me down, but after a phone call to a friend who lived nearby, and another 15 minute detour, we found the place.
It wasnt what I expected, full of noisy teenage kids smoking hookah and causing a huge ruckus. But, we had a nice time. Brad and Swamy got along capital. With their Brit accents, and me giggling at them.
After that, the agenda for us was to head to Chor bazaar again (we still have some unfinished business) and then go to Bandra for an interesting project by some Indian artist friends' of Brad.
Swamy joined us at Chor Bazaar. We looked up a crammed up store with all kinds of trinkets. Looking for post cards. Old used ones. Found some.. Rs 175 each!
But, oh God, what an wierd experience, reading those post cards. From people around the world, writing to their friends in India. 1914! 1922! Love letters, and the words themselves took you back a century. I was most affected when I read a post card addressed to someone in St. Xavier's College Bombay. Calligraphic script. Talking about pot, and girls! In 1922. And the street where St. Xavier's College now it, wasn't even called what it is now. It had a real snazzy name...
We'll be going back next week for the post cards. Who would think a post card you write today will cost someone probably Rs 500 in 50 years.
Anyway, Swamy soon left, and we wandered around in the Bombay Central area, taking photos and recording street sounds. And then head off to Carter Road, Bandra, for the interesting project.
It was really neat. A kiosk put up on Carter Road, with a touch screen monitor. The kiosk had also, a control board, with gave wireless signals to light switches to around 10 points on the streets. For example, the window to someone's house in the building 50 feet away. And the light in that window would turn on and off - controlled by someone touching that touchscreen monitor. Also, videos and photos of those points, and a mic and radio connecting sound. A bit complicated to explain at 3:00 am, but wooo... new engaging experiments by Indian Artists. Excellent.
Finally, we went to dinner to another restaurant I've never tired but just looked interesting - Grill and Toss, off Carter Road.
And then, back home, for pin hole photography preparation, and a few brilliant rounds of poker and beer. And Jim Morrison.
Quote for the day?
The commonest mistake in history is underestimating your opponent; it happens at the poker table all the time. ~David Shoup
Your best chance to get a Royal Flush in a casino is in the bathroom. ~V.P. Pappy
No comments:
Post a Comment