Tuesday, November 11, 2008

SF Dairies - Day 1, 2 and 3

Day 1:

Arrived at 3:00pm. Just off the plane from an adventurous but freezing night at London. Was wondering if anyone was to be there to pick me up in the first place. But Steven, a colleague, was there. Smiling and happy. We got into his little black Mini Cooper and zipped away from SFO airport, towards Mountain View.

It's autumn. The trees are colored. The air was edible. So delicious.

I was to stay at some Google corporate apartments, and wow, when we arrived, I spent a good half hour looking at how conveniently designed everything was.

I was exhausted and dirty. I had a lazy bath, and snuggled in for a mini-nap.

Which lasted 5 hours. When I woke up, I realized how stupid I'd been to sleep at 5:00 and wake up at 10:00pm. Now I was wide awake, and stayed up late, blogging about my adventures at London.

Missed a chance to go get some Halloween costume. Darn.

Day 2:

Friday. Halloween.

Woke up, did my yoga, and then took the shuttle to Googleplex. Had breakfast at the famous Charlie's Cafe, and was a little disappointed to see that most people weren't dressed up for Halloween... But then, slowly, the craziness started creeping in - starting with a lady on a table nearby who pulled out a wig from her bag and put in on.

Had a good day at work - and then left early for glimpse of Googleween. It was hilarious. Got some funny pictures. This one was one of my favourite costumes. Sarah Palin and The Joker were the most common costumes, of course.

Then, Steven took us into city, and after a burrito for dinner we hopped into a cab with some friends to go to a pub.

It was crazy. Packed to bursting with people dressed up with the basic intention of taking someone to bed. I wasn't drinking, and after a bit, I left. Took a train back to Mountain View and walked home.

Day 3:

Weekend! Met a Hyderabad friend for a lunch, and we drove to Haight-Ashbury, and I had a bowl full of salad. It was raining. I was thrilled to be at Haight, and then we went to the biggest music store I have seen 'Amoeba' and I bought a couple of DVDs for daddy, per request. And some hippie earrings, per request too.

It was raining and my friend was being sulky, so went back to Mountain View. Not the way I wanted my first Saturday in California to go.

Later, spoke to long-lost soul twin - Nash, who's doing some complicated PhD at St. Louis. Heard some great news and didn't stop beaming for an hour.

No comments: