Tuesday, November 11, 2008

SF Diaries - Day 8

Thursday. Last three days.

Today, after some awesome meetings at work, I persuaded Maloney to take me out to the city. Left office early, with the blessings of my manager.

By request of L'Afrin, as Maloney calls me, we navigated our way to the Twin Peaks. I'd not heard about the place from others, but had spent enough time staring at the map of SF to decide that I wanted to see it. So, up the winding roads we went, until we reach the top and saw this.

I was lucky, it wasn't foggy or cloudy, as the weather had been the past few days.

And so, we got a stunning view of the city - the Bay Bridge and the core of the city in this photo. The bright road running the middle of the photo is Market Street.

We got locked out of the car. But managed to open it somehow. Was fun. And then, I visited the public toilet.

It was like a space capsule. You press a button for it to open, and huge door slides across. And its completely space age. You walk in, there's a huge BIG RED button in the wall. The kind you see in the movies and the kind that set's off the big bad bomb.

It said : Instructions. I pressed it of course. The door shut, with a clank. And a metallic voice gave me step by step instructions about how to use the toilet. Hilarious.

After that, we went down into the city, and found the Filimore. A performance venue where Maloney treated me to a live concert. A punk concert! A band, he said, that was one of his favourites, and hadn't performed in 5 years.

I was excited. The opening band was called Guttermouth.
I quite liked their music. But the winner of that half hour was by far the ongoing nonsense that the vocalist spoke. He was outrageous. At first I thought it was regular behaviour of a puck star - but Maloney said it wasn't so.

He was insulting the crowd. Calling San Fransisco a pile of scumbags. And if anyone spoke back to him, he would point back to him and say something utterly rude. And personal. Like, yea, as of you know what you're talking about, scumbag. You with your funny military hair-cut.

He pulled at them about the fact that law to ban gay marriages was passed. I wish I remembered the words - it was nasty, sensitive, and hilarious.

He was doing a biting-stand-up comedy act, but it was rude. He instigated the crowd, and they started pelting him with coins. It was hilarious. Of course, everyone was in good spirits and most of the audience was roaring with laughter at his ridiculousness.

In between the two bands, I sat down against a wall, and fell asleep. Woke up when the music started again. The big band was Face To Face. The vocalist tried hard to entertain the crowd with a few attempts at being funny, but then gave up and just played music.

A nice night.

No comments: