Tuesday, November 11, 2008

SF Diaries - Day 7

Wednesday. Another busy day at work. And well productive.

After work, I found myself on the train to SF again. This time, well armed - with my maps, and a lighter bag. I desperately wanted to make it to Union Square and do some shopping. And especially wanted to go to The North Face store and buy myself a bag.

It was utterly disappointing everyday that the sun went down by 5:00 and it was dark before 6. I reached the Caltrain station on Mountain View at 7:15 and hopped on the train. Halfway down realized I'd bought a wrong ticket. Scary. I didn't want to get off the train to get a new ticket - the next train was an hour later.

Contemplation. I walked around and read that I could buy a zone upgrade ticket on the train. Phew. The next train-official who came by, I told him that I had a wrong ticket and I needed to upgrade my zone. He frowned and asked me for my ticket. I was like darn, he's going to tear my ticket and arrest me. And I don't have my passport.

He scribbled something on my ticket and said, don't worry. If they check, here's my signature. He'd written 'OK to travel upto SF'. He asked a few friendly questions about where I was from, etc. went on.

I got off the train, hopped onto a bus to Union Square and then got off and found the North Face store. It was all lit up. But locked.

Like 99% of all the stores. Disappointment.

But, SF is magical, and I walked around, taking photos, looking at the people, slipping in and out of their big cars, and walking into expensive restaurants and clubs. I was taking a photo at Union Square, and a cab driver, with a thick European accent told me I should use flash lights.

Oh no, I dont like flash I said, smiled and walked on.

Found a big book store - it was open, and packed, but didn't have the book I was looking for, for a friend. Then realized I had 10 minutes to get to my train. Hopped into a cab, and realized it was the same cab driver who had 20-minutes ago told me to use flash lights. We started talking. He had a Nikon D60. He was from Ukraine, and had a lovely accent. We spoke about Google, and
driving in SF. He said I was likely to miss my train. I didn't really care that much. There's always... a solution.

When we reached the station, I paid him, and asked him if he would wait a minute to let me check if the train was gone. I ran in - the train was just getting out of sight. Gone. Next one in an hour. I happily hopped back into the cab and said, take me back into the city! He said, maybe you should wait here for an hour - and I was like, no way am I going to waste an hour of California time at a railway station.

So, back into the city. Back to seeing musicians playing something outside bars. Back to the sparkling street walk, and the night lights. Walked past a few art galleries, and took photos of paintings on display. From outside. Walked and walked and breathed. And then cab-train-walk home.

No comments: