Tuesday, November 11, 2008

SF Diaries - Day 9 - Sin Fest

My last day in the city. And I had a big fat shopping list - thanks to my growing generosity - I spent my last weeks in Hyd asking everyone what they wanted. And landed myself with the said fat list.

I started at 12:00. Finished at 7:00pm.

By 1:30 my bags were full and my arms were hurting. I called a friend who lived nearby, dropped stuff off in his car and went back to continue.

Shop after shop, sometimes seduced, sometimes not. Surprisingly I bought a lot more things for other people than myself.

Had decided to get myself a backpack from Northface. Finally found myself there and instantly fell in love with the brand. Great stuff.

I found myself, after I picked my bag, buying caps, a sweater and then started considering a sleeping bag, a tent, and thermal jackets that I would need if I was climbing the Everest. Had to stop myself. I am likely to go to the Himalayas sometime next year, but the fancy jackets can wait.

Seduced though. And sinful.

Finally finished.at 7:00 pm. My intention had been to finish shopping in two hours and then spend the rest of the day sight-seeing. Fat chance. But yea, I'd managed walking around a lot and took photos of cloudy SF.

When I walked out of the North Face store... I said aloud to myself, Miss Sopariwala, that's it. Enough. Had spent easily 4x more than I should have. And then, I walked past a colourful store. Beautifully decorated. My feet walked in. Didn't even know what it was called.

Slabs of soap, displayed like cakes and pastries. Of all colours and fragrances.
Balls of bath salts.
Spreads of face creams, lotions, displayed like ice-cream. Delicious.

Was fairly innocent until a saleslady came up and asked me if I wanted anything. That's when I began to consider. Oh yea, I actually do want... something... How about shampoos, conditioners, a tub of cream, a face pack, and throw in some slabs of soap.

The guy behind the counter was delighted with my delight and threw in a couple of 'gifts' for me. Some perfume and a ball of bath-salts.

Turns out its a famous brand called LUSH. And they have a store in India, at Bangalore. Woohoo.

My two favourite brands now, North Face and Lush. And that was my sinful last day in SF.

Do you think I feel guilty? Hell, no.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Afrin.. this is a namesake.. you have a very easy and lucid style of writing... look forward to all your posts!